Sons of Confederate Veterans - Camp 1479 - Conroe, Texas - Granbury's Texas Brigade
HOME PAGE Information About Us How To Join Camp Officers News & Articles Up Coming & Past Events Photo Gallery Links To Related Sites How To Contact Us
(click flag to enlarge)

Battle Flag of the
17th and 18th Texas Cavalry
(dismounted) Consolidated
Granbury's Texas Brigade
This is the finest Hardee battle flag (blue field with white ellipse) in existence. In 1863, the troops of Cleburne's Division had resisted instructions to replace their blue Hardee flags with the standard red Confederate battle flag. The division, however, had won such an outstanding reputation as fighters that army commanders allowed them to retain their distinctive flags for the rest of the war -- the only command in the Army of Tennessee so honored.

In November of 1863, the 17th and 18th Texas received its new flannel Hardee flag inscribed with the battle honors of the previous campaigns: "Arkansas Post," "Chickamauga," "Tunnel Hill," and "Ringgold Gap." During the Atlanta Campaign, Granbury's Texas Brigade (including the 17th and 18th Texas) participated in some of the hardest fighting of the war. On July 22, 1864 at the Battle of Atlanta, while fighting in the Confederate front lines, the 17th and 18 Texas became cut-off, and nearly surrounded, forcing the surrender of a large number of its men. After a brief hand-to-hand struggle, the battle flag was taken by General William T. Clark. After the war, veterans of the 17th and 18th Texas made considerable efforts to locate the flag, which in 1914 was returned to Texas by Gen. Clark's widow.

(click flag to enlarge)

Battle Flag of the
6th Texas Infantry and
15th Texas Cavalry
(dismounted) Consolidated
Granbury's Texas Brigade
This is a Hardee pattern battle flag, blue with white oval, within which is a Texas star. The 6th Texas Infantry and the 15th Texas Cavalry were two of a number of Texas regiments that were captured at Arkansas Post in January 1863. After they were exchanged, these regiments were assigned to Major General Pat Cleburne's Division of the Army of Tennessee. As a result of their captivity, all the regiments were severely understrength, and the cavalry units without horses. The various Texas regiments were consolidated, designated to fight as infantry, and eventually united in the same brigade under the command of Waco attorney Hiram Granbury.

Granbury's Texas Brigade became one of the best units in the Army of Tennessee's best Division. Cleburne's Division saved the army from destruction after the Battle of Cattanooga, and fought Sherman's army to a standstill on numerous occasions during the Atlanta campaign. After the hard fighting of the Atlanta Campaign, the original Hardee battle flag of the 6th and 15th Texas was in tatters and was replaced by the present one in the fall of 1864. The regiments carried this flag through the bloody carnage at the Battle of Franklin, the disaster at the Battle of Nashville, and up to the final surrender in May 1865. Several Texans died carrying this flag and it is said the blood of some of them can still be seen on the cloth. Rather than surrendering the flag, Mark Kelton of the 6th Texas took it from its staff and carried it back to Texas. He donated the flag to the Texas State Archives in 1885, where it has been stored ever since.

HOME | ABOUT US | JOIN | OFFICERS | NEWS | EVENTS | GALLERY | LINKS | CONTACT