John C. Moore
2nd Texas Infantry Regiment
The 2nd Infantry Regiment [also called 2nd Texas Sharpshooters] was one of the first infantry regiments to be mustered into the Confederate Army from Texas.
It was organized by
John Creed Moore in Galveston during the summer of 1861. Most of the men were from Houston and Galveston. After serving in the Department of Texas,
it moved east of the Mississippi River and fought at the battle of Shiloh in Tennessee. Because of the gallantry of the 2nd Texas Infantry at Shiloh,
Colonel John C. Moore was promoted to Brigadier
General in charge of the 2nd Brigade, Maury's division and later in Vicksburg in Forney's Division.
Ashbel Smith was brevetted a Colonel and was given command of the Second Texas Infantry Regiment. Smith, a prominent political figure and doctor
from Harris County, was responsible for the formation of the "Bayland Guards" which became Company C of the Regiemnt. By the time that the 2nd Texas was engaged in the battle of
Corinth, Mississippi, October, 1862, it had already become a seasoned fighting unit. The 2nd Texas went on to fight at Hatchie Bridge, Snyder's Bluff and played a prominent role in the
defense of Vicksburg. At the Battle of Vicksburg, the regiment was distinguished for its defense of a crescent-shaped fortification, which came to be known as the
Second Texas Lunette. The fortification was located in the center of the Vicksburg line of defense.
Under the command of Colonel
Ashbel Smith , the Second Texas Infantry withstood two Union assaults of brigade strength directed against the lunette on
May 22, 1863. After 46 days of shelling by Union Artillery, nightly bombardments from Union mortar barges anchored in the Mississippi River
and the threat of starvation. The Confederate Army at Vicksburg surrendered on July 4, 1863.
Of 468 men of the 2nd Texas engaged in the defense of Vicksburg, the casualties during the campaign were
reported as 38 killed, 73 wounded, 15 missing, and 11 died of sickness.
After the surrender of Vicksburg the 2nd Texas Infantry was furloughed to Texas as paroled prisoners of war.
After being exchanged in November 1863, the regiment was reassembled at Camp Bee near Houston and placed under
Gen. John B. Magruder, commander
of the District of Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. With heavy losses during its service in Mississippi, the 2nd Texas
could muster no more than a battalion of effective troops. It was never restaffed but continued to carry the regimental
designation throughout the remainder of the war. Stationed at Galveston Island the 2nd Texas was assigned to guard the
port against capture and defend Matagorda Peninsula on the Texas Gulf Coast. In February 1864,
it supported Confederate defenses at the mouth of
Caney Creek, near Sargent in Matagorda County, Texas. That summer it suffered from a yellow fever epidemic
but continued to participate in the defense of Galveston.
Rather than surrender at the cessation of hostilities, the men mutinied in May 1865.
The field officers were Colonels Noble L. McGinnis,
John C. Moore ,
William P. Rogers, and
Ashbel Smith ;
Lieutenant Colonels William C. Timmins and J.F. Ward; and Majors
Xavier B. Debray,
George W.L. Fly, and Hal. G. Runnels.